Describe Containing Books In the Company of Angels

Title:In the Company of Angels
Author:Thomas E. Kennedy
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 288 pages
Published:January 11th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA (first published July 1st 2009)
Categories:Fiction. Literary Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Cultural. Denmark
Books Online In the Company of Angels  Free Download
In the Company of Angels Paperback | Pages: 288 pages
Rating: 3.72 | 281 Users | 105 Reviews

Interpretation Conducive To Books In the Company of Angels

Imprisoned and tortured for months by Pinochet's henchmen for teaching political poetry to his students, Bernardo Greene is visited by two angels who promise him that he will survive to experience beauty and love once again. Months later, in Copenhagen, the Chilean exile befriends Michela Ibsen, herself a survivor of domestic abuse. In the long nights of summer, the two of them struggle to heal, to forgive those who have left them damaged, and to trust themselves to love. Dense with wisdom and humanity, In the Company of Angels is a powerful testament to the resilience and complexity of the human heart.

Praise for In the Company of Angels:

"Wide-ranging and assured."- New Yorker

"If its stellar quality is any indication, the entire [Copenhagen Quartet] promises to be an exceptional reading experience … Kennedy [has a] fertile imagination and all-embracing empathy."-Booklist (starred review)

"As elegant as it is beautiful, as important as it is profound. A marvel of aread." -Junot Díaz, author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

"In the Company of Angels is a novel about grown-ups, people battered and dinged by life, painfully aware of their own responsibility, whose understanding of their past never stops evolving. It's the dignity of their adulthood-the elusive prize at stake in any midlife crisis-that makes them so admirable and, above all, so moving."-Laura Miller, Salon

Details Books Supposing In the Company of Angels

ISBN: 1608194671 (ISBN13: 9781608194674)
Edition Language: English


Rating Containing Books In the Company of Angels
Ratings: 3.72 From 281 Users | 105 Reviews

Critique Containing Books In the Company of Angels
"The pain was not his alone, it was theirs together, a place that had waited to be discovered by what she saw now as the indefatigable wish to love."My chest tightened and tears welled up as I read this sentence and its accompanying passage. At my core, I understood. Terrible psychic pain caused by cruelty and injustice desecrate personal attachment to living. How could that possibly change? Bernardo (Nardo) Greene has found sanctuary in Denmark, after surviving horrendous torture during his

I didn't like the style of writing. Mixing narratives can be interesting (think My Name is Red) but it doesn't work here. I also found the writing to be dry. Kennedy goes into detail to describe pretty normal, mundane things (a normal street, park or whatever in Copenhagen). I couldn't relate to any of these characters (the abuser or the abused). I also didn't feel the love. On the other hand, the sorrow and pain I could feel. All in all, Kennedy holds back too much for me.

"The pain was not his alone, it was theirs together, a place that had waited to be discovered by what she saw now as the indefatigable wish to love."My chest tightened and tears welled up as I read this sentence and its accompanying passage. At my core, I understood. Terrible psychic pain caused by cruelty and injustice desecrate personal attachment to living. How could that possibly change? Bernardo (Nardo) Greene has found sanctuary in Denmark, after surviving horrendous torture during his

I read this book so long ago, yet it continues to haunt me in untold ways. As it resolutely remains beside my "to-review" bench, I painfully hesitate to address my tenuous commitment to satisfactorily articulate how profoundly one book is capable of genuinely provocative reflection long after the last page is read. Yet, In the Company of Angels refuses to relieve me of lingering thoughts, so it is best to be rid of its rabid hold upon my dreams, much like Nardo, who has endured the tortuous

I received this as an AR from Goodreads.I first have to say that this is not book I would normally read. However, the synopsis sounded interesting and I am looking to expand my reading interests. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to my expectations. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. There is not a lot of dialogue, but rather a lot of internal thought processes. I found these thought processes strange, disjointed and somewhat unbelievable. I also had a hard time connecting with

In this novel a Chilean victim of torture is living in Copenhagen and forced by his therapist/trauma counselor to return to his memories of torture and to re-live them in the therapeutic setting, presumably so that the victim can then get over the trauma and "move on." Although the novel was quite beautiful in some ways, and quite thought-provoking (it could have been called "A History of Violence as Seen Through the Intersecting Experiences of a Torture Victim, a Domestic Violence Victim, a

Every now and then, a book comes along that you want to tell the next person you meet, "You must read this." ANGELS is simply masterful -- an exquisitely-written book that focuses on the theme of torture (physical and emotional) and redemption. I promise -- you will not soon forget it.