Free Akhenaten Download Books Online
Define Books During Akhenaten
| Original Title: | Akhenaten |
| ISBN: | 1852426195 (ISBN13: 9781852426194) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Dorothy Porter
Paperback | Pages: 160 pages Rating: 3.78 | 109 Users | 13 Reviews

Identify Containing Books Akhenaten
| Title | : | Akhenaten |
| Author | : | Dorothy Porter |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 160 pages |
| Published | : | February 18th 1999 by Serpent's Tail (first published January 1st 1992) |
| Categories | : | Poetry. Cultural. Australia. Historical. Historical Fiction |
Rendition Conducive To Books Akhenaten
Akhenaten is a fascinating, shadowy figure in Egyptian history - archaeologists have discovered attempts to eradicate all traces of his brief reign, but enough remains to tell a remarkable story of incest, heresy, androgyny and a massive cult of personality. Like Camus' celebrated Caligula, Porter's Akhenaten is an attractive, warped megalomaniac who attempted to construct a heretical religion around one Sun God, with himself at the centre. Akhenaten is a novel in verse that captures the obssessional, erotic nature of its central figure. It is a towering achievement.Rating Containing Books Akhenaten
Ratings: 3.78 From 109 Users | 13 ReviewsCommentary Containing Books Akhenaten
This is possibly the weirdest book I have ever read.A telling of the life of Akhenaten in verse by Australian poet Dorothy Porter.Her arrangement of Ahkenaten's Hymn to the Aten is beautiful. But in her other poems I found the use of somewhat, and very obscene language, lessened my enjoyment of the poems.if only I could write half as well! such a captivating writer!
things to write down before i forget them- this is a text that is anxious about identity, about essentialism- the poetry works rly well to portray Akhenaten's fractured identity and mental state, as someone who is not quite all together - the anachronisms piss me off (at least i think they're anachronisms) bc the concerns about fidelity and incest feel very out of place and i dislike that they're used to characterise Akhenaten as selfish bc like that's what egyptians did?????? feels like

I haven't thought about ancient Egypt in a while! Verse fiction is amazing, please recommend more verse fiction. Warning for child sexual abuse.
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. Eminent Australian poet. A rare proponent of the verse novel. Winner of The Age Book of the Year for poetry, and the National Book Council Award, for her verse novel The Monkey's Mask. She was awarded the Christopher Brennan Award for lifetime achievement in poetry in 2001.
This was Dorothy's first verse novel, and she maintained it was her best. I agree wholeheartedly.
I like poetry but it really depends on the style and what the author is trying to convey as to whether I will enjoy it. Considering my rating it is easy to guess that I did not like the author's style or what she conveyed. Granted Akhenaten was likely a megalomaniac, I mean he started a singular deity religion in Ancient Egypt of all places. And yes many royal families throughout history, including AE, had incest and twisted family lines. But holy shit the way in which Porter wrote it all was

0 Comments