Identify Books Supposing Chicago: City on the Make

Original Title: Chicago: City on the Make
ISBN: 0226013855 (ISBN13: 9780226013855)
Edition Language: English
Setting: Chicago, Illinois(United States)
Download Chicago: City on the Make  Books Online
Chicago: City on the Make Paperback | Pages: 135 pages
Rating: 4.17 | 908 Users | 114 Reviews

Interpretation In Favor Of Books Chicago: City on the Make

This 50th anniversary edition has been newly annotated by David Schmittgens and Bill Savage with explanations for everything from Chicago history to slang to what the Black Sox scandal was and why it mattered.

In this slender classic ... Algren tells us all we need to know about passion, heaven, hell. And a city. - From the introduction by Studs Terkel

Nelson Algren (1909 - 1981) won the National Book Award in 1950 for The Man with the Golden Arm. His other works include Walk on the Wild Side, and Conversations with Nelson Algren, the last available from the University of Chicago Press.

David Schmittgens teaches English at New Trier High School in Northfield, Illinois.

Bill Savage is a senior lecturer at Northwestern University and coeditor of the 50th Anniversary Critical Edition of The Man with the Golden Arm.

Cover photograph: Robert McCullogh

List Regarding Books Chicago: City on the Make

Title:Chicago: City on the Make
Author:Nelson Algren
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:50th Anniversary, newly annotated
Pages:Pages: 135 pages
Published:September 25th 2001 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1951)
Categories:Poetry. Nonfiction. History

Rating Regarding Books Chicago: City on the Make
Ratings: 4.17 From 908 Users | 114 Reviews

Article Regarding Books Chicago: City on the Make
Algrens infamous warts-and-all lyrical love letter to Chicago, in which he basically sums up the citys crooked history as a rigged ballgame an ongoing struggle between the hustlers and the squares, swindlers and victims, moral hypocrites and desperate low-lifes, capitalist barons and working-class slobs, where corruption is rewarded and sympathy for the losers generally absent. And yet for all that, Algren loves Chicago, but says you cant really love it unless you embrace it for what it is,

"'Watch out for yourself' is still the word. 'What can I do for you?' still means 'What can you do for me?' around these partsand that's supposed t omake this the most American of cities too. It's always been an artist's town and it's always been a torpedo's town, the most artistic characters in the strong-arm industry as well as the world's most muscular poets get that way just by growing up in Chicagoand that's an American sort of arrangement too they tell us."A town where the artist of class

I'm from Sydney. I spent a few days in Chicago once and think about the place often. It was unlike any other city I'd been to, landlocked yet on a shoreline, soulful yet missing something, giant art deco Metropolis-esque skyscrapers everywhere but with strangely deserted streets between them. None of the locals would give me a straight answer to the question: "Where is everybody?" I spent a few days cycling around Lake Michigan with a Swiss guy I met, and at one point, as we stopped to watch an

Sadly, reading this book only reinforced to me that, for better or worse, the old Chicago is a thing of the past...much like Vegas, it is an image to be sold to tourists but the reality is a sanitized version of something that hasn't existed for a long time. I guess that is the world we live in, in general...everything sanitized for our protection to the point where there is very little that is real anymore. What Chicago has gained in user-friendliness, it has lost in personality. Yes, if you

Spent the whole book thinking, "I mean, I guess..."

Poetic, a must-read for Chicagoans. I found the annotations to be a little cumbersome; they're listed at the end of the book by page. Flipping back and forth disrupted the flow and effect of Algren's work.

An epic prose poem about Chicago that celebrates all that is good and bad in our city. A slim book that makes the most out of every single word written. With a wonderful introduction by Studs Terkel and a brilliant afterword by Algren himself, I found that once I got started I had a hard time putting it down.I loved Algren's use of colorful language and felt that he made many statements that still hold true today. Such as: "The hard necessity of bringing the judge on the bench down into the dock